Sunday, February 24, 2013

Donor Bike

Originally I was drawn towards Old Board Track Race type bike when I came across builders using common bicycle frames and adding a small 2 stroke motor with a 2nd set of chain and sprockets. I was hooked with the beauty and simplicity of these replica bikes but was disappointed in the fact that they could not be ridden legally on public roads. The idea of taking my board track racer by trailer to shows and events was not at all appealing. So I began a list of certain 'Must Have' items for this bike.
-Clear title
-Enough engine power to keep up safely in traffic.
-18'' wheels
-drum brakes
-Separate Transmission, not a 'Unit' type motor
-Hardtail frame
-12v Electrical System for Lights etc.

   Plan A: I began sweeping the web for something to start with, Not sure at first what I needed I looked at the smaller 2 stroke Harley/Indians from the 60's and 70's, problem was none of them ever had paperwork to go with the bike. That was tough because I really liked the idea of the paperwork on the completed bike to read "Indian or HD", oh well.
    Plan B: Find an inexpensive Japanese bike with a good title to start with, make it a hardtail and go from there.  Well, After sweeping Craigslist for weeks I came upon this, A 1981 Yamaha XS400 unfinished project bike for sale with a title. And under an hour away from where I live.

I got the bike back home and stripped it down to the bare frame. The back half of the frame had been hard tailed and was cut back to the original Yamaha tubing. I jigged up a worktable to lay out the frame to set the wheelbase and neck angle I wanted.


Steel work table from scrap yard with plywood base, top will get sheet aluminum cover.
Since I would be welding on this table I added a pair of flip down casters on one end. I could now roll the table out into the driveway and weld the frame without sparks in the garage.
Casters in up position

Casters in Down Position



No comments:

Post a Comment